Streaming media has seen a steady upward trend since its inception 10 years ago and expected to continue rising because of its convenience and reach. Streaming media, better known as OTT (over-the-top) or video on-demand, is any device or service that is used to stream digital content to a TV, personal computer, mobile device, or digital media players. OTT services are accessed most commonly through:
- Streaming boxes (Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV)
- HDMI sticks (Chromecast, Roku, Amazon Fire TV Stick)
- Smart TV (through in-TV apps like Nickelodeon and TBS)
- Video game consoles
OTT advertising is similar to traditional TV advertising but delivered through streaming media on OTT platforms (eg. when you’re watching AMC through your streaming app instead of cable). And even though OTT content and ads are delivered over the Internet, the format feels like a TV-style experience. OTT, however, is taking one step further by providing advertisers an opportunity to effectively reach their target audience through amplified targeting and optimized ad spends.
While there are many benefits to OTT advertising, here are few strong reasons to consider an OTT digital campaign:
- Target customers according to their immediate needs and interests
- Combine with content placement on brand channels defining customers by lifestyle, interest and passion across all ages, genders, income and educational levels
- Target buyers based on their purchase-making decision
- Advertisers only pay for actual ad views/impressions, entirely independent from ratings and projections
- Actual viewership analytics are hard facts and tracked by advertisers through graphical user interfaces, graphs and maps in real-time at no additional cost
The benefits for advertisers speak for themselves. The technology not only provides better consumer targeting, but also gives advertisers the opportunity to create their own content on the platform. While OTT is becoming more popular, the space is not crowded yet…making it the perfect time for advertisers to jump on board.